This journalism thing is hard.
I’ve gotten my hands on some news, that on the surface appears to be just a little neighborhood zoning story, no big deal. However, because of who’s involved, it taps into a much larger story that’s been reported in our city for over 15 years. None of the local media know about it yet, or if they do they aren’t reporting it. I have a bonafied “scoop”.
But my source is nervous, and wants me to verify things with one of the parties. This worries me for two reasons. 1) The parties involved are extremely well-financed, and have in the past shown no reluctance to go to the courts, and 2) contacting one of the parties could endanger the deal, or force someone to release information to the press, thus ruining my scoop.
As of this morning, my secondary contact, who has inside information with one of the parties has not gotten back with me. I’ve known this information for almost a week now. The story is written, sitting in my “drafts” on WordPress. I don’t know if I’ll be able to publish the story today or not.
I’m not a journalist – I’m just playing one right now. So, as a last-ditch effort, I’m involving you. Especially Kathy T, whom I think could help most quickly. Somebody answer this, please:
Is there a way to quickly, and officially verify that an offer has been made and accepted on a piece of property?
If I can get Metro confirmation, I’ll run with the story as is. Then I can quit this serious journalism stuff and go back to blogging about Nashville Star and my family.
UPDATE: Lintilla is doing a little bit of sleuthing for me as we speak. She’s attempting to get an unwitting confirmation (and no, she doesn’t have to do anything that would earn her beads). I’d be lying if I said this wasn’t a load of fun, but at the same time, sitting on a story is no fun. But we’re going to do it right, or we’re not going to do it. Stay tuned.
UPDATE #2: We got our confirmation! Interestingly, Lintilla had a fascinating discussion with the head honcho of one one the parties, and I think I need to take a little time to compile this information into my post. In fact, I’ll have to change the tone of the story. I’m glad we waited for the confirmation. So, you’ll have to wait a little longer!